Metal detecting in old houses can be an exciting, thrilling, and rewarding experience. It’s like unlocking a time capsule full of hidden treasures from the past. With a metal detector, you can explore the forgotten corners of an old house and uncover forgotten items. From coins and jewelry to antique weapons, the possibilities are endless.
Not only can you uncover items of historical significance, but you can also find objects of great monetary value. So if you’re looking for a unique hobby or a way to make extra cash, metal detecting in old houses is worth considering. With just a bit of patience and some good detective work, you can uncover hidden treasures that have been locked away for centuries.
Benefits of metal detecting in old houses
There are many benefits to metal detecting in old houses. In addition to being a great hobby, it can also be a source of passive income. This is because you can sell the items that you find. This is especially true for coins and jewelry, which have a greater value than other items.
You can also use the items you find as inspiration for creative projects. For example, you could use old jewelry as a decorative item in a home or garden design. You could even use it as a gift or as an item of sentimental value.
Another great benefit of metal detecting in old houses is that you don’t need much space. You only need a small handheld metal detector, which you can easily take to any location. So regardless of whether you’re at home or on vacation, you can metal detect without worrying about disturbing others.
What to expect when metal detecting in old houses
If you’re new to metal detecting, you may be surprised by the variety of items you can find. While coins and jewelry are the most common, you may also stumble upon antique weapons, rare coins, forgotten heirlooms, and more.
The type of items you find will depend on where you decide to metal detect. You can expect to find various items if you are metal detecting in an old house. While some of these items may be of little value, others may have significant monetary worth.
Remember that items found in an old house will have more historical significance than those found in an abandoned building or another site. For example, items found in an old house will likely have been used by the owners or previous tenants. As a result, they will have more sentimental value than items found in abandoned buildings.
Tips for successful metal detecting in old houses
– Go at the right time – The best time to metal detect in old houses is autumn or winter. People are less likely to garden in the fall, giving you more workspace. During winter, the ground will be frozen, which makes it easier to detect without disturbing the lawn.
– Know your rights – Before you start metal detecting in an old house, ensure you have permission from the residents. Some people are okay with you doing so if you don’t damage their property.
– Choose the right location – The best location to metal detect in an old house is the backyard. This is because it is usually less crowded than the front yard and you will have more room to work. You should also choose areas that have not been disturbed for years. Be sure not to disturb the lawn as you drift across the area.
– Identify items to find – Before you begin your hunt, you should try to identify the items that you’re looking for. This will help you target specific areas of the yard and avoid wasting time.
The best metal detectors for old houses
The best metal detectors for old houses are lightweight and easy to use. You want to ensure it’s comfortable to hold for prolonged periods and easy to maneuver. The best metal detectors for old houses will have various sensitivity settings and tones.
This will help you to target specific items, regardless of their depth. Furthermore, metal detectors with adjustable controls are the best. This is because you can set them to the sensitivity level that suits you best.
The best metal detectors for old houses will also have an audio jack for headphones. This is because you don’t want to disturb the neighbors with the sound most metal detectors emit.
The historical value of items found in old houses
As you’re metal detecting in old houses, you may find items with significant historical value. For example, you may find coins or jewelry that belonged to an important historical figure. Or you might come across rare coins used during significant historical moments.
Some coins might be worth thousands of dollars, which can be a nice bonus for your hard work. You might also come across antique weapons, which can provide valuable insight into the history of a region. These types of items can be used to educate people about the past and provide insight into how people lived at the time.
Etiquette for metal detecting in old houses
Before you start metal detecting in old houses, you should research to ensure you are being courteous to the residents. First, you should know if there is a law about metal detecting in your state. Some states have laws that prohibit metal detecting on private property.
Other states have laws that restrict the times when you can metal detect. Either way, you should check your state laws before you begin your hunt. Another thing to consider is how you present yourself. You should dress appropriately and act respectfully.
When you finish, you should clean up any mess you made and put the lawn back in order. This will help you to avoid any confrontations with the residents.
Metal detecting safety tips
– Avoid metal detecting in areas with high electrical currents
– This includes areas that are close to substations or power lines. Doing so can lead to serious injury or even death.
– Avoid metal detecting in dangerous areas.
– Metal detecting in old houses near large bodies of water can be dangerous. This is because the current can easily sweep you away. Be careful to avoid any areas prone to flooding, as well.
Where to find old houses to metal detect in
If you want to start metal detecting in old houses, the best place to begin is with friends and family. If anyone you know owns an old house, you can ask if you can metal detect in their yard. This is a good way to get started, especially if you don’t have much experience.
However, you can also ask your local government office if they have any old buildings you can explore. Some cities or counties will have an old house or building they are trying to preserve. In this case, they may let you detect metal in the yard. You can also try searching online for abandoned buildings in your area. This is a good place to start, especially if you are new to the hobby.
Possible items to find in old houses
You can find many items while metal detecting in old houses. While coins, jewelry, and antique weapons are common finds, they don’t have to be the only things you uncover. You may also find interesting and unexpected items. Here are some of the most common items you can find while metal detecting in old houses.
– Coins – Coins range in value depending on the year, country of origin, and condition. They are also a great source of historical insight. They can provide information about the people who used to live in the house and tell you about the times in which they lived.
– Jewelry – Jewelry usually has a high value, especially antique ones. It’s also a great source of artistic inspiration; you can make many beautiful pieces with it.
– Tools – Tools are often found in gardens and are very useful. You can use them to fix things around the house, or you may be able to sell them.
– Antique weapons can be dangerous, so be careful when you find them. You should not handle them without wearing gloves and never attempt to clean them.
Metal detecting in old houses is a fun and exciting way to explore the past. Once you’re in the right frame of mind and are prepared to find various items, you’ll be amazed at what you can uncover.