The Garrett AT series, which stands for All Terrain, has three different types of metal detectors, the Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, and AT Gold. All of them have some specific features. You will find a few similar features as well.
The Garrett AT series of metal detectors includes the AT Pro, AT Max, and Gold models. Here is a comparison of these three models:
- Garrett AT Pro – This model is suitable for various terrains, including land and water. It has a high-resolution iron discrimination feature and can detect many metals, including coins, jewelry, and relics. It is also equipped with a waterproof search coil, making it suitable for use in shallow water.
- Garrett AT Max – This model is an upgraded version of the AT Pro and is suitable for use in various terrains, including land and water. It has advanced features, such as a high-resolution iron discrimination feature, a depth indicator, and a digital target ID, which allows you to identify the type of metal you have detected. It is also equipped with a waterproof search coil, making it suitable for use in shallow water.
- Garrett AT Gold – This model is specifically designed for detecting gold and is suitable for use in various terrains, including land and water. It has advanced features, such as a high-resolution iron discrimination feature, a depth indicator, and a digital target ID, which allows you to identify the type of metal you have detected. It is also equipped with a waterproof search coil, making it suitable for use in shallow water.
Overall, the AT Pro is a good all-around metal detector suitable for detecting a wide range of metals. At the same time, AT Max and Gold are more specialized models better suited for detecting specific types of metals, such as gold.
As all detectors serve the same purpose (finding lost treasures), it might not be easy for a first-time buyer to find the most suitable one for them. In the following, we will cover the above three metal detectors. We will discuss similar features and their differences.
The Garrett AT Series is a metal detector line that provides extreme depth and performance in all terrains. Each model has 5-star reviews from product owners who use it on field tests. Even though I own and use all three, there’s no need for you to take my word when I say these devices are powerful! Here’s how they compare:
What Does The AT Pro, AT Max & Gold Have in Common?
- Waterproof – All three AT Series detectors are fully waterproof up to 10 feet.
- Digital Target Identification – Target ID operates on a scale of 0-99.
- Iron Audio – This audio feature allows you to adjust the mid-tone range to include all targets higher than the point of discrimination. This allows you to fine-tune targets more accurately.
- Auto & Manual Ground Balance – Auto ground balance is great for beginners, while manual ground balance helps cancel false signals.
- Fast Recovery Speed – Helps determine the good targets from the trash.
- Electronic Pinpointing – This is used to precisely locate a target.
- Tone Roll Audio – This gives you different tones as the search coil passes over a target.
Features of The AT Pro
- Ease of Use – Standard & Professional Modes, which is great for beginners and well as seasoned detectorists
- Operating Frequency – 15 kHz Frequency, Adjustable
- Headphones – Wired Land MS-2
- Search Coil – 8.5″ x 11″ DD PROformance DD Search Coil
- Waterproof – Optimized for use in saltwater conditions
- Six Search Modes – Three Standard & Three Pro modes (Zero, Coins & Custom)
- Shaft Length – 43 Inches to 56 Inches
This professional-grade metal detector is a tried and true treasure hunter’s best friend. It’ll find relics, coins, and gold jewelry in any terrain you send its way! The AT Pro made its television debut on Diggers with hosts KG & Ringy as they used this model all over the world to explore ghost towns that were once bustling hubs of the trade from centuries ago.
Garrett AT Pro is a popular intermediate-level detector. You can own this one without hurting your budget. However, the quality will be super. Many prefer this metal detector due to its incredible quality and affordability. Yes. this detector has been around for some years, but it is still performing very well. You can use this professional detector to find gold jewelry, coins, and any other metals.
Regarding features, you will have adjustable notch discrimination and digital target ID. There are standard binary audio outputs and waterproof ability. Yes, you can use this metal detector in the water. In addition to these features, it has an 8.5″ x 11″ DD PROformance DD Search Coil. You will find this search coil similar to the AT Max.
The audio outputs for the AT Pro are mono/stereo wired headphones. It uses MS-2 headphones, and its operating frequency is 15 kHz. The weight of this metal detector is 3.03 lbs. The shaft is adjustable from 43 inches to 56 inches. There are six search modes; you will have three standard and three pro modes.
The ground balance of this metal detector is both auto and manual. Also, it features different search mode types. They are coins, all-metal, zero, and three pro modes. Hence, you can use any search mode that you find suitable.
What Is Specific About Garrett AT Pro?
Price is a considered benefit of the AT Pro. You can have this metal detector for your all-purpose hunting without spending more. Beginners can consider having this one to explore more. Also, it is easy to use. The credit goes to its professional and standard modes. The frequency level enables this detector to detect small jewelry, nuggets, or any other target. Also, it has six search modes to offer better results with accurate information.
Features of The AT Max
- Wireless Technology – Built-in Z-Lynk Wireless Technology – Transmits audio to wireless headphones from the detector & pinpointer.
- Headphones – MS-3 Wireless Headphones
- Operating Frequency – 13.6 kHz Frequency, Adjustable
- Four Search Modes – All Metal, Custom, Coins & Zero
- Backlight LCD Screen – Illuminates your screen for low-light conditions
- Waterproof – Optimized for use in saltwater conditions
- Search Coil – 8.5″ x 11″ PROformance DD Coil
- Shaft Length – 43 Inches To 56 Inches
The Garrett AT Max is the newest, latest, and greatest model in their AT series. Built-in Z-Lynk Wireless Technology delivers audio wirelessly with no cords needed.
You’ll be able to take your detector into new waters thanks to this high-tech device that’s perfect for saltwater conditions or any other wet environment. It also has all sorts of cool features, including an LED indicator light so you can easily detect it at night.
You will love this model for its advanced features. However, you can also expect some similar additions. This metal detector has an 8.5″ x 11″ DD PROformance coil. Many users appreciate this detector for its Garrett MS-3 Z-Lynk wireless headphones.
Also, it features a backlight to enable users to use the detector in dark and light conditions. When it comes to the Z-Lynk wireless technology, it will offer near-zero delay between wireless headphones and AT Max, as well as the Garrett AT Waterproof Pinpointer with Z-Lynk. The technology is six times faster compared to Bluetooth.
The operating frequency of this detector is 13.6 kHz. and the weight is 3.03 lbs. The shaft is adjustable from 43 inches to 56 inches. The operating frequency will help with all-around detecting capability. You can use this metal detector to find coins, brass, or any other type of metal. The frequency will also give you a deeper detection.
The ground balance of the AT Max detector is both auto and manual. The Garrett AT Max has three search mode types, custom, all-metal, and zero discrimination modes. This detector is also waterproof and saltwater-friendly.
What Is Specific About Garrett AT Max?
You will have the all-metal mode in AT Max. This feature will enable your device to perform deep searches. You will have the option to use different ground conditions as well. Other impressive features are built-in Z-Lynk Wireless technology, maximum detection depth, backlight, and MS-3 wireless headphones. In brief, you can expect some advanced features in this latest addition.
Both The AT Gold & AT Max Have The Following Similar Features
- True All-Metal Mode – Provides the greatest possible depth and sensitivity.
- Threshold Adjustment – You can adjust the background “hum” to your preference, which helps to hear faint signals.
- Ground Balance Window – Simultaneously adjustments to the ground balance settings.
Features of The AT Gold
- Headphones – Wired Land MS-2
- Operating Frequency – 18 kHz frequency, adjustable – Optimized for finding tiny gold nuggets
- Three Search Modes – All Metal, DISC 1 (Zero Discrimination Mode) & DISC 2 (U.S. Coins Mode)
- Search Coil – 5″ x 8″ PROformance DD Coil
- Waterproof – But not recommended for use in saltwater conditions
- Shaft Length – 43 Inches To 56 Inches
The Garrett AT Gold is the perfect model for any prospector, gold hunter, or treasure seeker. Its 18 kHz frequency and advanced design features help find small gold nuggets. This micro-sized detector will be able to find what you’re looking for, no matter how difficult it might seem. The best part about owning one?
Thanks to their incredible detection capabilities, when used properly, there’s nothing like having an old coin turn up on your next family vacation. So get ready because once these babies start ringing back at ya, you’ll never want another type again. While the Garrett AT Gold is waterproof and can be used in rivers and lakes, it is not designed for use in saltwater.
From the name itself, you might have realized that it serves a specific purpose. Yes. you can use this metal detector to find and detect gold. You can have this one for gold hunting and advanced prospecting. It comes with an 18 kHz frequency.
That makes it the best detector to get gold nuggets. It can outsmart any detector for finding gold jewelry, relics, and coins. However, you cannot use it in saltwater conditions. It is a noticeable difference between this detector and the above two options. You cannot use the AT Gold detector in salt waters, but it can be the best for hunting in dusty and dirty environments. You can also use this detector underwater.
AT Gold detector comes with a 5″ x 8″ DD PROformance coil, and the search coil is extendable from 43″ to 56″ in length. The audio outputs of this detector are mono/stereo wired headphones, and it will have MS-2 headphones. The weight of this gold metal detector is 2.80 lbs. You might have noticed that all three metal detectors weigh the same. You will find this common feature in the three models. When it comes to the ground balance, it will have both manual and automatic options. Besides, there are three search modes.
In addition to all these, this detector has many search types. Based on the situation, you can use two discrimination modes and a True all-metal mode. The frequency gives it a preference over its competitors.
What Is Specific About Garrett AT Gold?
You will have some unique features in AT Gold. First of all. it can help you to detect gold jewelry. The purpose makes it different from the above two. Also, it features an 18 kHz frequency, and the frequent level enables the device to search deeper. You can use it in different conditions as well. But it is not suitable for saltwater.
Insert Full image of AT Gold
What Are The Similarities?
You will find a few similar features in all these models. They are all waterproof up to 10 feet. Yes. you can use them underwater to find metals. The headphones are NOT waterproof, so keep your head above water if you use wired or wireless headphones. Here are some other features that make these three models similar.
All of them feature fast recovery. When you use your detector to target multiple metals, the device will offer maximum benefits. It will enable you to find your desired targets.
All models have better audio to help users. They can accurately determine the target’s shape, size, and depth. There will not be any area for confusion. Iron audio can also enable you to sort the quality metals from the bad ones.
Target Depth Indicator
You will get this feature in all three models. Two inches down to ten-plus inches. Also, you can make adjustments based on your preferences.
You might have realized that these three models are waterproof from the above. Yes. you can use them underwater. When the first two options (AT Pro & MAX) are suitable for saltwater, you cannot use the AT Gold detector in saltwater conditions. Don’t forget that while the connection from the headphones to the base unit is waterproof, the headphones themselves are NOT waterproof.
All these models feature three audio tones to ensure easy usage in unfavorable conditions.
What Are The Differences?
When it comes to differences, the AT Gold detector is unique from the other two models. Yes. the design serves a specific purpose. You can use it to find gold jewelry and nuggets. For this reason, it features a higher frequency than the other two. Also, AT Pro and AT Max are suitable for saltwater. You cannot expect this feature from AT Gold detector.
In addition to these. AT Max has a built-in Z-Lynk wireless audio technology that you will not find in the other two models. This advanced technology ensures a fast result and is speedier than Bluetooth. It will provide a cordless connection from headphones to metal detectors if you compare the frequency. AT Max has the lowest.
The AT Gold detector tops the list with the highest frequency. Also, the frequency makes it an ideal choice for detecting small gold pieces. However, the AT Pro works as an all-around beginner metal detector. All the credit goes to its discrimination setting and pro modes. The AT Max lacks the pro mode, but it has the all-metal mode instead.
In summary, these three models will have some similar features and differences. The frequency will vary, but the weight will be about the same. There will be different search type modes, and you can choose the one you find suitable for your purpose.