Metal detecting is an exciting pastime that allows people to travel back in time as they uncover clues to the past. As you scour the ground for forgotten artifacts and antiquities hidden for centuries, it’s a treasure hunt.
Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, metal detecting can be a thrilling adventure that gives you insight into the history of the area you’re searching. You can quickly become a successful metal detector by researching the area and understanding the different types of metal detectors.
With practice and patience, you can uncover mysterious artifacts, uncover forgotten stories, and even stumble upon valuable coins and jewelry. So grab your metal detector and get ready to discover the hidden stories of the past!
What is Metal Detecting?
Metal detecting is searching for buried metal objects with a metal detector. Metal detectors come in different varieties, but all are designed to detect metal. They use a magnetic field to detect the metal, and then an audio or visual signal alerts the user.
Metal detectors are commonly used to search for buried items such as coins, jewelry, and guns, but they are also used in archaeology to discover hidden artifacts. In archaeology, metal detectors find items that cannot be detected with the human eye, such as jewelry and weapons.
Most modern metal detectors use a search coil that encircles the search head. This search coil is then connected to a circuit board that amplifies the tiny voltage caused by the metal. The detector then picks up the vibration frequency caused by the metal object, and the user is alerted by a sound.
Benefits of Metal Detecting
Metal detecting has many benefits, including exercise, relaxation, and exploring history. Metal detecting also offers the opportunity to make money by selling the items you find. With the right approach and equipment, you can find all sorts of interesting items and make a profit.
Some of the other benefits of metal detecting include:
– History – Few hobbies let you explore the history like metal detecting. Whether you want to explore your local area or travel the world, you can uncover the history of the places you visit using a metal detector.
– Relaxation – While some people use meditation to relax, you can also use metal detecting. By taking your metal detector out in nature, you can use it as a form of relaxation.
– Making Money – While some people may use metal detecting as a hobby, others use it to make money. Whether you want to sell your items or find items for others, you can use your metal detector to earn money by selling what you find.
– Getting Exercise – You can use your metal detector to get some exercise, which can help you stay healthy. Whether you walk or use a metal detector on wheels, you can get some exercise while enjoying your hobby.
– Finding Interesting Items – You never know what you might find with a metal detector. You could discover items that are hundreds of years old or coins and other items that are much more recent.
– Opportunity to Travel – You can use your metal detector to travel to new places and explore the world. You can use your metal detector to explore new places and cultures and make new friends.
Metal Detecting Statistics
There are many interesting statistics related to metal detection. Some of these include:
– There are around 1 million metal detectorists in the world.
– The most popular hobbies of those who use a metal detector are hunting, fishing, and archaeology.
– The most popular areas for metal detecting are beaches, streams, and fields.
– Around 80% of those who use a metal detector are male.
– 25% of metal detecting hobbyists make more than $75,000 per year.
– An estimated $10 billion worth of buried items are found annually.
Types of Metal Detectors
Many different types of metal detectors offer various features and benefits. Whether you’re just getting started with your hobby or you’re a veteran, there is a metal detector that is right for you. Here are some of the most common types of metal detectors:
– Beach and water metal detectors – These are designed to withstand elements, including sand, water, and salt. They are used for both beach and water exploration, as well as for dry land hunting.
– Handheld metal detectors – Handheld metal detectors are very versatile and can be used in many different environments. They are lightweight and easy to use, making them perfect for beginners.
– Pinpoint metal detectors – Pinpoint metal detectors are used for finding very small objects and are often used for coin searching.
– Professional metal detectors – Professional metal detectors are larger and more powerful versions of handheld models. They are typically heavier and often have more advanced features and functionality.
– Wireless metal detectors – Wireless metal detectors are connected through wireless signals. They are best used in open areas and can be controlled with a handheld device.
Metal Detecting Techniques
Metal detecting requires patience, practice, and an understanding of the different types of metal detectors. You should be familiar with a few techniques before you start using your metal detector. Here are some tips for using your metal detector more successfully:
– Start slow – When you first use your metal detector, don’t expect to find anything. You need to get used to using the equipment, so take your time and don’t get discouraged if you don’t find anything.
– Focus on one area at a time – You don’t want to spread yourself too thin, so focus all your energy on one area at a time. You can come back and explore other areas once you are satisfied with your progress.
– Use headphones – Using headphones can help you focus on your metal detector and tune out any distractions around you. You can also use metal-detecting headphones with built-in speakers and volume control.
– Take breaks – You can’t expect to find anything if you give up because you’re tired. Take breaks throughout the day, and hydrate and eat properly.
– Research the area – You can get a lot of information about the history of an area by researching it before you start to metal detect it. This can also help you determine which areas are more likely to contain valuable items.
Researching the Area
If you want to find valuable items and important artifacts, use the right metal detector for the area. You can narrow down your search by doing some research. Here are some things to consider:
Most metal detectors are designed to detect coins and other small items, so larger items, such as cars and machinery, can be difficult to find. You can also research the minerals in the area and the type of soil you are searching through.
Knowing these things will make it easier for you to select the best metal detector for the job.
Metal Detecting Etiquette
Before you start metal detecting in an area, it’s important to be mindful of your surroundings. You don’t want to damage or disturb any nearby property. Here are some tips for being good metal detectors:
– Ask permission – Ensure you get permission before detecting metal on someone else’s property. You can usually find nearby landowners online or check with the local government.
– Stay on the trail – Don’t leave the path while metal detecting. This can damage nearby vegetation, disturb wildlife, and be dangerous.
– Leave what you find – You can take items that you find on government-owned land, but you cannot remove anything from someone else’s property without their permission.
– Clean up after yourself – Make sure to clean up after yourself when you finish your metal detecting session. Leave the area as clean as you found it, or try to improve it.
Metal Detecting Safety Tips
Although metal detecting can be a fun and exciting hobby, being safe while in the field is important. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
– Keep hydrated – You will be sweating a lot while out metal detecting, so ensure you are hydrated and drinking plenty of water.
– Wear sunscreen – You will be outside, so wear sunscreen during the day to protect your skin from the sun.